Monday, March 1, 2010

Gaming life - How it ended

It's been years since I played computer games. They were my 'best mates' most of the time especially during primary - high school. I would rush back home just to complete my campaign or to day dream about how I could come up with a strategy which would allow me to pass this level. So how long have I been playing? Let's say about 9 years? One of the earliest games I played was:

red alert
The 1st Red Alert game

diablo1st0
Diablo I


When it comes to online gaming, Ragnarok Online was my very 1st MMORPG that I enjoyed most. Malaysia's server (Iris) was the main server hosting players across Malaysia. There were about 1000 players during my time and back then it was free. One of my best friends introduced me to it. Allow me to explain my experience in R.O. I would -
  1. Spend approximately 6 hours of gaming everyday just to level up
  2. Play both servers (Iris & Sakray) for the fun of it
  3. Sneak out to the cybercafe at 12.00am - 6am in the morning
  4. Sacrifice sleep so I could train my character & hunt for items
  5. Throw RM9.00 for 3 hours of gaming in Cafes like Inferno/Global Net - SS15

ro-logo-eng-1


When R.O started charging its players with prepaid cards, I moved on to other alternative computer games such as Red Alert, Hercules, Seven Kingdoms or my PS1 games like Final Fantasy 9, Crash Team Racing, Twisted Metal, Digimon World and etc... Health was affected, studies were pretty screwed up & I could not concentrate in class. Couldn't care less since I was an addict without notice...

CTR

ff9
Final Fantasy IX - Zidane Tribal

digimon-world-2-screenshot-001

dg2


In high school, I was still gaming. It was another era where I would game because I love the companionship + addiction. Games such as DotA, Warcraft & Counter Strike were still the hottest in year 2003. When it comes to DotA, BlueServer was the best game hosting server of all times. Just download the client and you're ready to play with your friends online. My 1st char was Drow Ranger, followed by Bone Clinx. I was still an addict, spending approximately 8 hours on Blue Server just to get rid of my noobness. "**** you! You wait la, I'll pawn you in 3 months time" lolz.

dota

o_counter-strike_source


Thinking that R.O would be the end of my MMORPG, private servers from around the world have already developed their very own private servers. That's when I started R.O all over again from scratch. XileRO was one of my longest server ever played since year 2003. The commitment wasn't there...and hence the not-so-strong characters of mine. The server is located in California. So if there would be any W.O.E (War of Emperium), I would wake up at 4am just to assist my guildmates.

xilero


Realized how much time I've invested in games, I decided to take charge of my life. Knowing that games would not bring me further in life. Therefore, I decided to stop them one at a time. Starting off with R.O - A server which I've configured myself for UniMAP, and slowly moving into DotA and C.S. Till now, I've successfully stopped the addiction of playing DotA and Counter Strike. Worst, the only game I play now is L4D2.

There is more to life than just gaming. What happens if I become a professional gamer? What could I achieve by having all characters of level 255? What's so great about pawning everyone on the battlefield and boasting about it? Nothing. Simply to feed my ego is something I'm not willing to sacrifice for the rest of my life. To game as a hobby is good, but to spend hours on it is so not worth the price you're gonna pay.

Reasons to stop:
  • Spend more time in improving oneself
  • Time waits for no man. Spend it on gaining knowledge/experience which can be put to life such as reading or experimenting.
  • Have a healthy life. No addiction = Sleep early = Healthy life + love your liver

I am not implying that you should 100% stop gaming because it brings no life benefits to you. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't spend so much time on it/become an addict.


Signs of addiction:
  1. Taking your food to your computer & multitask
  2. Ignore help needed by others. "I'm gaming...later dude!"
  3. The moment you wake up, 1st thing 1st - Game!
  4. As you sleep, you think about strategy, ways, solution for your characters
  5. Playing after 2am. You should be sleeping else lethargic following day
  6. You asked your parents to 'tapao' food for you while you're busy playing

Some might think that "Owh I have a passion for gaming. I love it, and who cares? I enjoy doing things I love most". If gaming is all that you dream of in life, then so be it. You have your say. You determine the way you wanna live your life...no one else does. Ask yourself one question. What is your testimonial to your grandchildren/friends in years to come by? End of the day, I suggest that we gamers should be a healthy gamer. Know your limits, balance time between friends and virtual ones, and most important of all...family. The clock is ticking...

time

No comments: